Data Analysis using SPSS Training at Royal Thimphu College
August 17– 21, 2020 [Notice: Training dates postponed to September 14-18]
(Workshops will be from 9am – 4pm approx. on the indicated days)
Royal Thimphu College (RTC), will offer an introductory training workshop on using the IBM SPSS software from September 14-18, 2020 at the RTC campus near Thimphu.
SPSS is one of the most popular statistical software packages, used for conducting complex statistical data analysis by different disciplines in Social sciences, Business, Healthcare, Education and others. The workshop will introduce the fundamentals of SPSS and related features, in particular how to code raw data of a new dataset, perform quantitative analysis, interpret, and reporting the results. You will augment your ability to review and apply a relevant statistical tool. The format of the workshop is instructor-led, with hands-on practice on a set of pre-prepared exercises. The workshop is designed to provide a comprehensive training on data management. At the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Use the IBM SPSS software package to set up a database, enter data, create and manipulate variables, analyse data using the most appropriate tests
- Differentiate between the various types of data
- Report data summaries using the most appropriate approach.
- Identify differences between various statistical techniques, apply them, and justify the choice of technique
- Apply the concept of a statistical hypothesis test and interpret the results with respect to the related effect size, confidence interval and P value.
- Choose between and apply different statistical techniques to analyse data.
- Present quantitative research findings appropriately
Seats are limited. Course fee: Nu. 9, 700. Last registration deadline by August 14, 2020.
Content of the workshop
|Day||9:00 AM- 12:00PM (Lecture and presentations)||1:00 - 4:00 PM (Lab Work)|
|1||Introduction to SPSS: basic introduction, entering data, importing data, data editing, sorting, , defining variables, compute and transform variables, working with dates||Individual exercises|
|2||Descriptive statistics: frequency distribution, cross tabulation, graphical presentation of data||Individual exercises|
|3||Descriptive statistics: measures of central tendencies, measures of dispersion, comparing means,||Individual exercises|
|4||Inferential statistics: T test, ANOVA, Chi square test||Individual exercises|
|5||Inferential statistics: correlation, OLS regression, binary regression, diagnostic tests, time series analysis||Individual exercises, Valedictory session|
12- 1 Lunch Break
10:45-11:00- Tea Break